Uncovering pathways

Uncovering pathways

Every week, something new is bought to our attention at our Southern Highlands Waterbrook site. Whether it be the roof going on our display residence which is currently under construction, or the uncovering of something from a bygone era, there is never a dull moment!

Recently, our groundsman uncovered a leafy pathway meandering along the front of the buildings, originally used to get from the school down to the bottom flats and creek. Along the length of it runs a beautifully preserved drystone retaining wall built from rock which was extracted from the Mount Gibraltar quarries known as Bowral Trachyte. This is special because “The Gib”, as Mount Gibraltar is commonly called, is clearly visible from our Retirement Lifestyle Resort site.

Even though the quarries were located locally, the rock was mainly shipped to Sydney for use in buildings that are now listed on the State Heritage Register such as the QVB, the ANZAC Memorial, Martin Place and Challis House. The quarries are no longer operational (production ceased in 1986 after 100 years of constant extraction) and are listed as historically significant sites due to the contribution of Bowral Trachyte to the built history of New South Wales.

We feel very lucky to be able to give this amazing rock a new lease of life within our landscaping plan.  Here’s to more discoveries!

History on film

History on film

The refurbishment of the existing OLSH College buildings for our Waterbrook Bowral Retirement Lifestyle Resort will commence very shortly. Whilst we are all very excited about this, we’re also a little sad that we’ll no longer be able to take people on tours through the old classrooms, boarding house, bathrooms and chapel so they can appreciate fully the finished facilities when they are complete.

So, we decided to make a video!  Well known presenter, Dane Wheeler and cameraman, Damon Banning spent a day onsite in Bowral recently filming and recording the history of OLSH. A mini documentary of the spaces which are so special to not only to us, but all the boys that attended school there, and to so many members of the Southern Highlands community.

They had a great time exploring and working out the right camera angles to make the most of the lovely late summer light, and like almost all who go through the buildings they were also awed by the size and preservation of them.  We look forward to seeing the finished product and will release it to you all very soon!

Unearthed Treasures

Unearthed Treasures

Look what the Waterbrook Bowral Team found buried under the old tennis court….  Springett’s family Lemon Fizzy glass bottles, circa 1950!

The boys from the OLSH school obviously obtained the drinks and took them to their common hiding place near the courts and who would have thought, 70 years later, that the Waterbrook Team would find them intact with not a chip in sight – naughty boys!

The Springett Family were retail and wholesale, food and beverage pioneers in the Highlands. The Springett’s had established themselves in Bowral when they opened a general store in 1926.  Two decades later the Springett Family expanded this general store into a bakery and soft-drink plant. These buildings were the first to distribute soft drinks and sliced bread in the Highlands. The soft drink plant was the first in Australia to bottle the iconic fizzy drink Passiona.

In 1972 the Springett’s opened Springett’s Arcade in Bowral. Today the Springett family are still managing this historic building with 38 shops and offices in the heart of Bowral.

Looking forward to finding more treasures!

Community Open Day

Wow!  What a wonderful Community Open Day!

Perfect weather, not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of wind and just the right amount of sunshine!  We had hundreds of the local community enjoy our Open Day.  A chance for the community to see the original buildings and gardens in their current state before we start our refurbishment program early next year.

We toured groups and individuals all day, showing off the original dormitories, classrooms and bathrooms (we refer to them as Harry Potter bathrooms, the most amazing circular basins are still in pristine condition).  Locals were delighted to know that we are restoring, NOT demolishing most of the spaces, preserving the history and memories of so many.  Our Harry Potter bathroom will be converted to an incredible art space for many different modalities. It is important to us that anything worth restoring is, an exciting project for the Waterbrook Development Team.

Coffee, Cake, Gelato and Frank Sinatra tunes were had and taken under one of the beautiful oak trees.  A chance for the community to relax and take in the still beautiful gardens.

We loved meeting so many of the community that have had many lovely connections with the College, from fruit suppliers to children (now adults) who played on the oval.  A number of old boys told some funny stories about their time at the College and it was great for us to find out more about how the College and its occupants lived, worked and interacted with the community.

We would like to thank so many of the local community for providing us with photographs and memorabilia to furnish the historic section in our new library.

Lastly, thank you to all those who attended, we hope you will all be proud of the transformation that will take place very soon!

Preserving History

Preserving History

In 1946 Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Bowral, built the spectacular Memorial Hall.  Rumoured to be the largest privately owned theatre in regional NSW.

Former OLSH School Boy, James Donohoe remembers the commencement of the building fondly.

“I was standing next to the labourer when he turned the first sod. I remember it well and I got into trouble for being “out of bounds”. It was early 1946. The ground floor was up by about June and the Hall was ready for occupation in early December 1946. We held a concert in there on the last day of school that year and the whole school sang in choir the “Chorus”, the words to Tales from the Vienna Woods.We started using the building in 1947 but the movies were not shown there until 1948. Bishop Twohey formally laid the foundation stone some time in 1948.”

The Memorial Hall has the capacity to seat 500 guests, you can feel the grandeur of the room and what it once was.  This is just one of the magnificent original features Waterbrook will restore to its former glory for Residents and their guests to enjoy.